Thursday, December 06, 2007

Big Questions and Lots of Sugar

Felix, reading the cover of a risque issue of Time Out Chicago:

F: Daddy, what does S-E-X spell?

*****

Keir: Felix, I'm going to give you two choices. One, take a nap right now. Two, read a book.
Felix: Three.

*****

The day after Halloween:


Felix: If I drink milk, it gives me more energy to play with candy.


...Daddy, I have zillion hundreds of candy. Zillions and zillions, hundreds and thousands.


*****


After two successive sidewalk mishaps:


F: I have concrete in my head and in my knee.


*****


Felix loves having company over.


F: As soon as Josh takes off his coat, I am going to wrestle him.


*****


Coming in on Felix whopping Cosmo with the spiky worm:


K: Don't hit Cosmo. Do you know why he follows you around all the time? Because he wants to be like you.

F: But I just want to be like him!


*****

Sweets for the sweet.

F: Cosmo is eating his cookie! Good thinking, Cosmo!


...Daddy, I just love to eat sugar--and cookies, because they are good for me.


*****


F: Daddy, there are 24 hours in a day. How many hours are in the night?



*****

After a big struggle to get the kids to go sledding with me so Marya can wrap some presents, I try to play on Felix's innate sense of big-brother superiority:

Keir: You see, Felix, Cosmo doesn't understand about Christmas and surprises....
Felix: I don't understand, either!

*****

Soon we'll be doing more reporting on Cosmo's dialog, too. So far, his vocabulary is a lot more surferesque than Felix's, with lots of "whoa!" "all right!" and "fell down!" He is very exuberant. He likes to point out when things are "on top!" of other things. Also, street sweepers are still a favorite ("sweeper!").

No comments: